Tuesday 7 June 2016

The Strength Of Words

Yesterday I read the brief article followed by the full statement from a sexual assault survivor in California, raped behind a dumpster while she was unconscious. It details a terrifying situation and shows the range of emotions that come with that type of experience: anger, fear, pain, helplessness, confusion, etc. It is detailed and well written. Having spread quickly across the internet it seems that this powerful statement, bravely written, read, and shared by the victim, is having an impact on many people. I don't know what change it might bring but I hope for something.

Read it: 

I see myself in her words, or a future child, or a friend or family member and it scares me. With no way to prevent it from this side the reassurance of law and justice provides little comfort when the courts so regularly fail rape victims.

No comments: