Sunday 24 May 2015

Birthday Buffets

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

I have mentioned my love of buffets before, and that my dad loved them too. This evening I went to Tuckers Marketplace, which is a buffet chain with three locations, including one in Ottawa that I used to love. Jason hates buffets but agreed to go. It is free on your birthday! (Seeing that the cost on a weekend is about $25 a person, not having to pay for one of us makes a big difference.)

I understand Jason's complaints about buffets, the food isn't usually very good and there is a drive to 'eat your money's worth.' My dad definitely felt the need to eat lots to get high value for the price - which is pretty unhealthy. I just enjoy having a little bit of a lot of different things.

Dad liked really cheap buffet places, so the expense of Tuckers wouldn't have really appealed to him. He used to go to a Chinese one in Brantford that was $5 at lunch. My mom doesn't like them very much, but would agree to go because they usually have lots of shrimp that she can eat plates and plates of. It was really just Dad and I that loved them - it would have been fun to go to Las Vegas together, if only for this strange (and slightly unhealthy) shared love.

No comments: