Sunday 7 December 2014

My Dad Rocked

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

At spinning recently I was reminded of my dad when the following song came on:

Raise Your Glass (2010)
by P!nk


I don't know why it always seems to be P!nk songs that remind me but they are really connected to time I spent with Dad recently. The main thing that got my dad active on the internet, in general he could be a bit of a technophobe with some times, was music. He was on Napster and other downloading sites and quickly replaced most of his mixed tapes with CD compilations and most recently iTunes playlists.

He found out that the local library allowed a few downloaded songs a week for free and Dad become very disciplined in researching and getting new music. (He also used mine and Mike's cards to get music for himself - Mike shouldn't have even had a card seeming that he lives in Edmonton.) With the library program, Dad downloaded a lot of P!nk. Thinking about it now, I realize that my dad has always like 'Rock' music and a lot of recent stuff is pop or folk or a softer type of rock. P!nk isn't, her sound is a good throw back to the real rock sound of the 1970s. (I also really enjoy that so many of her songs have really positive messages in the lyrics.)

No comments: