Tuesday 24 February 2009

It Had To Be Tonight

Bell Sympatico finally let me down. We got it new for Die Höhle when we moved in May 2008. There were so many screw-ups and problems with the phone line here that it was a while before we got it set it up. I had anticipated massive problems with it too. I was really impressed when they delivered this pretty shiny modem that is also a wireless network router, unlike previously when you had to link a separate modem to a router, both of which would crash regularly. We had Rogers Internet at Le Manoir and Glen and it was always going down. I remember at Glen sometimes it wouldn't work for days. We were always on the phone with them trying to find out how to fix it, when it would be back up, and whether we could get a refund on our next bill for all the trouble. All those headaches, and the price difference, led me to switch providers on this most recent move. It has almost been a year, a perfect flawless year. And then the Internet went down tonight. I was so unused to this that I scrambled to remember what to do. I looked up stuff in the book, tried the whole resetting and power off thing. Finally I called (310-Surf) and got an automatic message telling me my area was experiencing technical difficulties. I called a few friends to whine and complain, finding them in the same situation. Finally I tried Bell back and waited to speak to someone to get an estimate for how long it might be down. I was on hold for 25 minutes when I noticed the red internet light turn back to green. Friends called, everyone's internet was working. Mine wasn't! I could connect fine if I plugged The Little Pet in through an ethernet cable but the wireless was not working, much to Jerrica's dismay in the other room. I finally realised that with all the resetting it had restored factory settings and turned the network name from DIEHOLE back to BELL120 which I hadn't recognized. I followed the instructions in our little book, renamed the network DIE HOHLE spelt correctly, and actually gave us a good password this time instead of a 35 number long webkey. All is peaceful now. But of course all of this had to happen on the night that I'm writing an essay last minute!!!

No comments: