Monday 9 February 2009

Can You See It?

Standing at the bus stop, barely awake, early morning. Hearing the easily recognizable sound of a quick staccato. Haze, smile, hear the wind through the trees and think of waves lapping against a dock or crashing onto a beach. Slowly realize I'm in the city, peering down the street I look at the trees and telephone poles. Look away and just listen as the sweet sound continues. A man approaches and I wonder if he will stop and wait for the bus as well, he passes. He stops a few feet ahead. He almost turns the corner but then he hears it. Peering down the street he turns back to smile at me. I smile, "Can you see it?" No, neither can I, but we smile anyway, we can hear it. He tells me that is it probably small, a little one, "Probably a Downy," gestures size with his hands. I nod, they make a faster sound, we are both smiling. He continues on. Birders in the city, nature pushing through our streets and suits and sound.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was very pretty!

But then I laughed at Downy. I'm a horrible person.

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely piece of writing Chris.
MUm

Anonymous said...

I KNEW that Downy was referring to the bird. That is a cute story though!
Love, T