Sunday 7 September 2008

Old School

I took the train home from Toronto last night. It took forever because it made alot of stops, way more than on the way down last weekend. At the start of the trip they welcomed us to Train648 to Ottawa and Train45 to Montreal, I didn't think anything of it at the time. Then at Brockville they announced that they would be turning off the power for a bit to disconnect the trains since half of the train was going up to Ottawa and the other part was carrying on to Montreal. I know they used to do this alot in the olden days, think pioneers and stem equines, but I had never experienced it on VIA before. It makes tons of sense, lower your environmental footprint, save costs and use just one equine to get most of the way then split off. I feel connected to the past and future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do that absolutely ALL the time at Brockville- it is terribly frustrating to be getting off at the Brockville station...and then slowing down a kilometer away from the station and waiting for 30 minutes for the trains to be disconnected...arg arg.
And yes...running tues is a-ok...thursday I won't be at work...but I might be coming up to Ottawa...I will let you know :) Hope you had a FANTASTIC vacation :)

-Erin

Anonymous said...

If they were pulling it with equines then it was a real connection to the past, I think you meant engines.
Mum