Tuesday 13 May 2008

Garbage Day

I’m not so good at figuring out the garbage system here in Ottawa. First off they have separate weeks for the cardboard/paper recycling and the glass/plastic/metal recycling. At Le Manoir we had a big calendar put out by the city that detailed which week was which. It also showed when you could put out garden waste, or Christmas trees. I forgot to bring it over to the new place when we moved out so now I have to just look at what the neighbours are putting out at the curb and hope that they are right. My landlord told me that I could look it all up online, which is true. The second thing that confuses me is that my landlord, the City of Ottawa, and my roommates all inform me that our pick up day is Tuesday. But this means that the city is actually coming to pick it up on the Tuesday, and they come early in the morning, so you have to put it out the night before. In my mind the Garbage Day is Monday, the day (evening/night) you have to actually do the work of getting the stuff to the curb. Misunderstandings and confusion abounds.

No comments: