Wednesday 1 June 2011

The States Baby!

Here are some brief point-form notes from my road trip with JennB, this does not really totally explain the trip nor describe all the experiences but it will give you a rough idea.
So in no particular order...


Location: The road, from Toronto to Baton Rouge.
Dates: May 13th to 18th, 2011

-the end result was to go to Louisiana and pick up JennB's boyfriend, who she met on the New Orleans trip, and drive him back to Canada for the summer; we decided that the journey would be a great excuse to travel together again
-we drove through and/or visited 8 states: New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana
-I flew back early so as to not miss too many sailing classes and JennB and her boyfriend continued the road trip
-JennB braved her fears and took me on a tour through Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, they were amazing
-we made a game of counting religious signs and sex shops, I think in the end there were more religious signs
-JennB and I split a steak dinner and still had issue finishing it
-saw a concert at the Grand Ole Opry, an American icon, which was an unbelievable amount of fun
-JennB's boyfriend's university has a live tiger
-We went to a lot of state welcome centres, all of which were awesome
-Breakfasts are a big deal and all the hotels included one
-I travelled with a dog for the first time since JennB's boyfriend was bringing his small terrier-mix to Canada
-We had the best burgers imaginable at Steak and Shakes even though we had gone in looking for steak
-Food was incredibly cheap
-There is a building in Nashville that looks like batman
-I caved and napped once in the car even though I believe it is the passengers job to stay awake and amuse the driver
-Saw some frighteningly high water in Baton Rouge
-JennB let me do the 'Sweeton Way' one night and use a coupon book from the state tourist centre then drive up and book a hotel for the night on the spot
-Went to a Honky-Tonk bar in Nashville and made requests to the band, all of which were rejected
-Visited a beautiful state capital building in Louisiana which confirmed my love for Art Deco Architecture
-Rediscovered that Mountain Dew in USA has caffine in it and had JennB big me back two cases of it in the car
-Got drunk and giggly on strawberry margaritas
-Ate a lot of fried food especially in Louisiana where I had fried shrimp with every meal
-Really liked Detroit airport
-Just in general had a great trip which reminded me of how great a travel partner JennB is and just how much I love having her as a friend!!

2 comments:

JennB said...

Such a great trip! And by giggly, I think you mean unable to pronounce tequila. "Te-tila" was the mot du jour. And let's not forget the caramel corn in the shape of an ear of corn, and Seamus oozing on your pants, and I would just like to emphasize HOW GOOD THE BURGERS WERE. Mmmmmmmmmm. And, finally, menopause and mylanta. GREAT TRIP! I love travelling with you!!

Anonymous said...

A live Tiger? So what, Carleton had big black birds all over the place! haha.

Sounds like you had an awesome trip! The Detroit airport is fun! Much like a shopping center with airplanes.

Love T