Monday 30 May 2011

Sailpast

Teri & I At The NYC (National Yacht Club) In Toronto

This Saturday was Sailpast at the yacht club I joined this summer. I have started to attend classes twice a week but so far they have all been in a classroom. This was the first real event I tried to attend. I didn't get to go out on boat to truly experience Sailpast, which is a hilariously formal tradition and I am told the only time the club buys into the occasionally pretentious aspects of sailing.

The Sailpast tradition began at the first Yacht Club which was formed at Cowes in England nearly 200 years ago. The membership was primarily aristocratic and many were familiar with social graces, naval practice and tradition.

The actual “review of the fleet” was introduced as a continuation of the naval habit of having Admirals (and/or Royalty) review the fleet on special occasions. Protocol demanded that a flagship be anchored with the Admiral and staff on the quarterdeck to receive and return the salute. Vessels sailed past, dipping their colours in salute, and with their captain also saluting with the ship’s company standing at attention.

The National Yacht Club tradition is almost identical, except that the salute is received by the Commodore instead of the Admiral. Tradition dictates that all club members participate in the Sailpast, on their own or on another member’s yacht. Participants are to dress formally in white and navy, though men can wear beige pants. Good manners require that a member unable to participate will send his/her regrets to the Commodore.

A few weeks ago I had received a formal invitation in the mail inviting me to the event, which actually did say at the bottom that if I couldn't attend I should inform the Commodore. (Yes, the club has a Commodore and a number of Vice-Commodores.) I decided I should attend, it sounded very fun and even if I wasn't going to be on a boat it would be nice to visit. I brought Teri along and we had a drink and walked along the docks. If you closely at the picture above my tongue does appear to be sticking out, I have no idea why, but this one was better than the other we took where I was talking. Looking forward to lots of sailing this summer!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks really cool with the To skyline in the background
Mum