Monday 16 May 2011

Counting

To pay tribute to my childhood road trips, JennB and I are counting things as we drive around the US. It actually just sort of happened, since we were noticing things and then decided to count them. JennB is counting signs for 'Adult' stores, the prevalence of which is very dependent on which state we are in. I am counting religion related signs and billboards. Right now I'm winning - Religion over Sex!

The best religious based sign so far was the huge black billboard that had large white letters saying, "IF YOU DIED TODAY, WHERE WOULD YOU SPEND ETERNITY?" The 'E' of eternity was filled in with red. We were a little surprised at this sign and started to talk about how the red ''E" must symbolise hell. Then a few miles down the highway, an obviously connected billboard (it was designed the same way) appeared which read "HELL IS REAL." The "H" this time was filled in with red. There was stunned silence in the car for a little while - just at the complete lack of subtly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you were on the same road as we travelled in Jan or if there are more than one of those signs, but I remember that first one. Pretty effective advertising if you ask me.
Mum

Anonymous said...

Haha wow, those remind me of the signs in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). "What the heck does UP stand for" - Us....10 minutes later "Oooh, Upper Peninsula" - Us. Oh America.

Although those signs are MUCH less subtle.

Teri