Thursday 1 February 2018

Not Resting On My Middle Name

I had such a good January when it comes to posting on Always Standing. It is important not to lose steam, not to "rest on my laurels."

Idiom Definition: To stop putting in effort, trying to innovate, or working to advance one's career or status and instead rely on one's past achievements or accolades to remain relevant or successful

Idiom Background: In Ancient Greece, victorious athletes were presented with laurel wreaths to wear. They were, and still are, signs of great accomplishment, unless you start resting on them. Read more at History Revealed.

Laurel wreaths were made from the leaves of the laurel bush (or tree, or shrub, it is basically a mid-size plant.) My middle name, Laura, after my aunt, takes its meaning from the same bush.

Name History: Laura is a Latin name. In Latin the meaning of the name Laura is: Laurel tree or sweet bay tree (symbols of honour and victory).

No comments: