Sunday 24 July 2016

Water Ruins Your House

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A Sunday post about my Dad, named after a song that he loved.

I think I know why Jason's work replacing the toilet last weekend was so impressive - because growing up my family always had all plumbing related tasks done by a professional. We have a couple of family friends who are plumbers so I think we would usually ask them. I never saw my parents change or repair plumbing-things.

My parents did quite a bit of stuff around the house themselves, even to the point that Dad helped my uncle built the two story garage at The Cottage. Dad also did the pot-lights in the basement in Paris. So, to this day, I think that a lot of stuff can be muddled through by amateurs but all water related items must be super hard.

I think it was from a fear of water damage that Dad didn't tackle plumbing projects (and I'm not talking about anything complex either - he called someone in to change a faucet.) Electrical work can hurt you but badly done plumbing work can hurt your house. Dad considered the house an investment that was very very important to protect.

Dad also didn't do any repairs himself on the cars. I wonder where that came from.

1 comment:

Sweeton said...

Yes you are right, George was quite comfortable with electrical work but not plumbing. However last year I got Greg (qualified plumber) to supervise while I replaced a faucet. Part of the issue is having the right tools.