Sunday 10 May 2015

I Think He Knew

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

My grandfather, on my dad's side, died before I was born. In fact, Dad was in his 20s when his father died and at that point my parents were dating, but not married. The got engaged a couple of years later, but growing up everyone (my grandmother, parents, Aunty Laura, etc.) always said this about my parents getting married : Alex wasn't alive for it, but he knew that it was probably going to happen.

This weekend, Jason and I got engaged. I too think that Dad knew it was coming at some point. My relationship with Jason is very special and quite different from others in my past - I hope that Dad took note of that. Mom mentioned that it was a big deal for them to help Jason move into Rrunuv Bayit in the Fall of 2013 (just a few months before my dad died.) I had never lived with a boyfriend before, so it had been obvious to them that this was a guy I was very seriously committed to.

Jason and I both spoke privately with the other's family a few months ago to discuss the pending engagement. My dad would have really enjoyed that conversation - it would have found it exciting and been flattered to be included. He also loved weddings (food, dancing, lots of people - it was totally his scene.) It will be difficult to have mine without him.

No comments: