Sunday 6 March 2011

A Snow Effigy

Snow-Binx By The Birdfeeders Sitting In The Sand

I needed a break from marking and writing so decided to go for a walk, I'm at the cottage and it is nice to get out and wander along the road or beach. It had snowed last night, making some nice packing-snow. Instead of going for a walk my parents and I ended up making a snowcat - in honour of Binx. JennB is correct, there is no wrong way to grieve.

My family hasn't made a snow sculpture in years, I can remember being really young and making snowbunnies, a snowdragon, and at one point I think some Flintstone characters. We make things in the sand more often, sometimes together sometimes just me. Our work in sand is much better. When I was little our sandcastles were always epic, my mom was amazing at designing them which may come from her being British and having seen a number in real life, and my dad would bring piles of sand with the big shovel and dig huge moats. Working in sand is much easier than snow, as we discovered with this attempt to make a cat, it is not so good.

Still missing Binx but I'm trying to find ways to deal with it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks great! Excellent memorial to Binx.

Teri

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! That's an impressive snow Binx :) I can barely make a snowman so I think it is fantastic :)

-ERin

JennB said...

Looks wonderful! :)

Unknown said...

:) I really like it too.