Saturday 6 November 2010

Cooking Fail

Kristen decided to be adventurous this morning and make us poached eggs in her fancy poacher. I decided to rise to the challenge and said that I would try to make Hollandaise Sauce so we could turn them into Eggs Benedict. I have only ever had them once before, and it was only a bite of someone's, and this was only a couple of weeks ago. (They were amazing!) I knew that it was something that most people tended to eat at restaurants instead of making at home, and I also knew that it was something that people considered unhealthy. However, I thought that it would be pretty easy to make and couldn't be that bad for you.

I looked up a recipe, and even after seeing the ingredients, I still thought it would be pretty simple and not particularly fattening. Turns out that after I melted the ridiculous pile of margarine and stirred up the egg yokes, I realised that there might be something to the nutritional information at the end of the recipe that said that each tablespoon had 71 calories, and that 99% of them are from fat. Making the sauce also turned out to be a bit more difficult than I thought too. Turns out that just looking at the ingredients and glancing at the instructions is not really good enough. I combined everything all at once and then had to google why 'hollandaise sauce not thickening.' Pretty much the most important instruction in the recipe, add the melted butter to the egg yokes -gradually- oops! Had to throw it out. Cooking fail!

Kristen's eggs were awesome though! No need for the sauce after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, cooking courage. I''ve never even tried.
Mum

Erin said...

This attempt is far better than you settling on making Kraft Dinner in the microwave.