Tuesday 9 November 2010

And Where Am I?

Pathetic Public Self Pity Poetry

Lost in an electronic sea of equivalence.
Searching for superficial standards.
Caught in a current of digital comparisons.

Teri's teaching.
Kristen signed her contract, continuing her career.
High school peers are posting pictures of new puppies.

Taylor is tying the knot.
ERin has already had an anniversary.
A person in my program is friends with a restaurant proprietor.

Dave does testing for demolitions.
Steph travels to the States to attended engineering seminars.
Countless friends own cars.

Mike is managing his second mortgage.
Jenn's new position means prosperity and potential for promotion.
A bunch of friends are boasting about beautiful babies.

Working against the worry of imaginary worth.
Facebook makes me feel like a failure.
Lonely and looking for a life.

--- C.Sweeton, 2010

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry... I don't have a job OR school. Or even an apartment. You're still doing better than me!

Anonymous said...

Ryerson's Masters was the right choice for you, and not an easy choice at that. But Facebook forces superficial comparisons - that is right for them, this is right for you.
Mum

Unknown said...

I agree 100% with your mom. Though I do feel your pain when it comes to the Facebook comparisons. Keep in mind that they are only posting the good moments.
Also, you traveled the world and trust me, a lot of people are envious of that. :)
Love you.

Unknown said...

Oh also...I love the alliteration in the title.

Anonymous said...

Facebook makes me feel bad as well. I second Steph's comment about you travelling the world, Chris. You are awesome and I'm so jealous of your travels and your creativity in lesson planning. Unfortunately, being in school gives you lots of time to procrastinate using Facebook. I was on it ALL the time last year. It always made me feel down. Avoid Facebook!

Love, Teri

Anonymous said...

Everyone uses a different measuring stick for success... I really admire your strength and courage to follow your heart and do what makes you happy. So many of us get tangled up with what we think is expected instead of what makes life worthwhile.

I love the fact you always make decisions for yourself. Don't ever change that.

Love T