Friday 4 June 2010

When A Computer Breaks

"My video card gave out a few days ago, a 9800 GX2 that had served me well during its brief time on this Earth, right up until the point where it refused to render anything higher than 640x480. I'm hard on technology, so my equipment is always finding ways to leave my service... Our dialectic is entirely different from that of a single purpose device. There is so much surface area (psychologically speaking) between the enthusiast user and the machine that the loss of it feels... I box it up and ship it out. This is the closing of a single circuit, encapsulated in an act that feels like punishment: I'm literally banishing the machine from my home. Get the fuck out of here. Come back when you lose the sassmouth. When the computer - a device I have named - turns on a person, there's nothing else to call it but betrayal. This is the betrayal of the father by the son."
- Jerry Holkins (writer, Penny Arcade)

No comments: