Friday 26 February 2010

Spain Reminders - Erin

So far, I keep coming across things that remind me of my friends at home. I decided to make it a regular feature while I am in Spain.

Both Erin and I love to sleep. Erin is known for the having really random sleeping hours. She would love it here where “the siesta” is a national fact. All stores close at some point between 1:30 and 2:30 in the afternoon and don’t reopen until 5:00 or 6:00. (They are then open much later, often well past 9:00.) Siestas, or a nap in the afternoon, help keep away from the afternoon heat, everyone retreats into their tiled houses and pulls down the blinds or closes the shutters. All the windows here have very heavy duty shutters or blinds. It is a little strange at this time of year because it isn’t that warm, mostly it is annoying since things are closed for such a big chunk of time mid-day. However, I have started to siesta myself on occasion and it quite nice.

1 comment:

Erin said...

It's true, I do loves naps. I say that someone should stand up in Canada's senate and declare nap time, at least in the summer. Maybe just hibernation in the winter.