Friday 26 February 2010

UPDATE - Stuck In London

I don't like connections! Both ones that I had to catch I missed. This is the second time I have been stuck in Heathrow airport because a flight came in late and I couldn't get to the gate in time to catch my other one. Both times have involved a lot of waiting. After almost two hours in line I was told this afternoon that they could not fly me out until tomorrow (Saturday). However, I had inside information that there was an early evening Air Canada flight and I sweetly asked if I could get on that. She said she could. I then rushed to yet another Terminal. Heathrow has what feels like a million and you always fly into one but out of another. Once I got there the Air Canada flight was delayed well into the night and I didn't want a repeat of two weeks ago with a long wait in the airport, this time alone. I would be bored, lonely, tired, and probably more than a little pissed off. I went to the British Air people again and asked if they could just put me on the one tomorrow and let me have a hotel for the night. So now I am in this cool little hotel, they gave me a voucher for bus travel to and from it, and buffet dinner as well as breakfast tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to go into London, super early, to visit Portobello Road Market or something before catching my flight. Trying to turn a missed connection into positive thing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a travel agent once tell me that it was suicide to have a connection throw either Heathrow or Charles de Gaul in anything less than two hours. How much time was originally between your flights?

Kristen said...

Did you get to see portobello road?? The travel bookshop??? When we went, it was so busy! You could hardly see the shops, there were too many people in the way. At least you got a free hotel!