Sunday 25 January 2009

Media Photography - #3

A Winter Walk
Anna, Erin and puppy Sophie
By Christine Sweeton

Not my best work. But getting a 'Nature Shot' in winter, in -24, in the middle of the city, in a bus strike, which includes people of course, is all a bit more of a challenge than I was really up for. I also think that the super cold temperatures were really hard on my camera. It drained the battery really fast. I'm going to look at the manual to see what it says of those types of extremes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the picture and totally understand your dilemna of nature photography with people in freaking freezing weather. I am curious to hear what the other students took - let me know, k?

Cold temperature are generally not the greatest for electronic devices. The batteries drain and for cameras (or rather lenses) it is particularly bad. The air between inside the lenses get cold and if you heat them up too quickly it can condensate and then you have water inside the lens and you get shitty pictures from then on. That is why I was just using my kit lens this weekend since it is the cheapest one I have.

Unknown said...

Take the batteries out of the camera and put them in your pocket (so they stay warm) then take them out only to use them.

It happens to everyone!