Thursday 4 December 2008

I'm Overheard

Because Taylor, Kristen, and Heather have been involved with The Charlatan, I am occasionally in it. I also occasionally write for it but here I'm talking about when I, myself, am mentioned. Sometimes one of them needs a quote for an article but a few times I have appeared anonymously in the Overheard At Carleton section. This is a fairly new part of the school paper and contains submitted sections of conversations that have been overheard on campus. I always know when they have submitted something I have said because they tell me. "Oh, your in Overheard this week, remember when you said such and such." Usually something sex related and funny said at a party. Well unbeknowest to me, I was submitted by someone in my English class.

The student in the following is me:
Prof: And so they had Napoleon but they couldn’t bring him to England because of all these laws and they couldn’t bring him to France because the government didn’t really exist, so they put him in a ship in the harbour. . .
Student: Didn’t they put him in a bucket?
Prof: A bucket? This has been the weirdest class!


I got totally confused. I remember some kind of war hero being put in a pickle or rum or wine barrel to transport home for burial instead being thrown into the see. I thought it was Napoleon, it definitely wasn't. It looked really stupid and super random. So I showed up in The Charlatan a week or so later.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Trafalgar. The guy at the top of the pillar thing in Trafalgar square in London, England. The one with one arm. He was loved so much by his crew, that when he died in battle, they wanted to preserve him so he could be buried at him rather than be buried at sea like other seaman. They put him in a rum barrel and the story goes that when they arrived in London, they opened the barrel and all the rum was gone. The thought the crew had bored holes into the barrel and drank the rum in celebration to their dead leader.

Anonymous said...

Stephs right it was Nelson. We learned about it when we went to the maritime museum in Southhampton. I think you were in Grade 6 at the time - good memory, sort of - somehow Nelson turned into Napoleon and the rum barrel turned into a bucket.
Mum

Anonymous said...

yeah, Horatio Nelson, battle of Trafalgar. Against the french (there's a Napoleon link) and the N's ..Nelson, Napoleon could get a person mixed up. Anyway I just think it's awesome that I actually know someone 'overheard' at Carleton. I won't be able to read it again without thinking it's you. :)
A.