Wednesday 13 February 2008

Nothing To Prove

I make a bad first impression. I have been told this by friends and enemy’s alike. It takes awhile to get used to me, to figure me out, and then to ultimately (hopefully) like me. It is particularly noticeable at new jobs. I think I have finally figured it out: My first day on a new job I’m out to show everyone how great I am. I feel I have to prove that I was the right choice for the job. I’m overly assertive and confident. I rush around showing what I can do. “Oh, I know how to use a debit machine” or “I can fill out Travel Forms, I was trained at my last job.” No one likes that type of person. It goes away, eventually I just don’t care. I work hard, I do my job, I hope that I do it well enough to stay. Pretty much by the second day I no longer feel that I have to prove myself, but the damage is usually already done. I need to learn from this. I need to remember keep my quiet confidence and ‘nothing to prove’ attitude whether it is my first day on the job or fifth year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good plan. Good insight. Hope class goes well tonight
Mum