Monday 11 February 2008

A Newfie Word

Jerrica doesn’t really have a Newfie accent. Every now and then she does use strange words. She used the word 'contrary' last night in a way that I would almost call slang, but it wasn't quite. I gather in Newfoundland, it is used often to mean 'cranky' or 'upset'. If a child is misbehaving they are 'being contrary' but it can be used with adults as well. Jerrica says that isn't a mean word when they use it, it is used like 'crabby'. This use isn't that far a stretch from some of its official definitions, which state that 'contrary' can mean stubborn, headstrong, or hostile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i use that word! My dad uses that word all the time. Not a Newfie thing just an east coast (ie. more cultured) thing.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Actually I've heard it used in Britain, I guess its just not mainstream.
I love that your study of "English" is picking up these idiosyncracies (not sure about that spelling)
Mum