Saturday 1 December 2007

Interviewing

I can write, though I don't know what to do with that skill. I thought I had retired from working as a reporter, but I got contacted again from The Charlatan to do a last minute article. I stopped before because I hated interviewing and stumbled through the journalistic writing style, often missing deadlines. I really can't interview. I dread and hate it. This morning I wasn't as nervous as usual when I headed downtown to to meet the drummer of a local band I was to profile. Soon after though I was an awkward nervous mess, don't ask me why this happens as I'm crazy social and love meeting new people. Despite thinking the interview went terribly because I'm so bad at it, I was able to get more then enough information. On the bus ride home I tried to figure why I'm so sub par at this and it dawned on me, I can't totally throw the spotlight away. I'm so used to bringing my ideas or opinions to the table that when I'm interviewing a person and can't share my stories I get confused and uncomfortable. It feels horrible that I'm that self focused, but the truth is I don't know how to be completely un-self focused. I need to get famous and quick so I'm the one getting interviewed and not the other way around. I don't think I'm going to be a famous reporter though, I just don't have the full skill set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was good at being interviewed...that is one of my weaknesses
Teri