Friday 9 January 2015

Boiled Chicken

So much for Sliced Bread, the saying should be, "The greatest thing since boiled chicken!"

On the plane ride back from Edmonton my mom was reading magazines on her tablet (she is really into the Next Issue app.) I saw a recipe with what looked like 'pulled chicken' but used chicken breast. I love pulled chicken, it is always what I order at Swiss Chalet because I hate dealing with fish and poultry that has bones. (Yes, this means that I don't like chicken wings.)

Steph sometimes buys one of those cooked rotisserie chickens you can get at the grocery store and pulls apart the chicken to use in wraps and salads when she is "doesn't want to cook and is feeling lazy." This is incredible to me because it still sounds like a lot of work, I would count it as cooking, and the very idea of doing that kind of grosses me out. However, the end product is delicious.

Anyway, if you boil chicken breast it can be shredded easily with two forks to become the same texture/style as pulled chicken. THIS IS AMAZING! I told Jason I want to only cook chicken this way from now one. I guess I am pretty sick of the texture/consistency of cooked chicken breast - even cubed or sliced - I am bored of eating it (we have it a lot because it is a healthy, lean protein.)

Here is the recipe I tried last night (adjusted from the one my mom and I read in the magazine Eating Well):

BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

1. Put boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 large ones) in a medium pan with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently , turning once or twice, until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. (About 15 minutes)

2.  Meanwhile, combine: 1 3/4 cups cider vinegar; 1 tbsp sugar; 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper; and 1/4 tsp of salt; in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half. (About 10 minutes)

3. Shred the boiled chicken into bite-sized pieces with two forks. (I did this in a 9" glass baking dish). Add chicken to saucepan with vinegar mixture and stir until well combined. Cover and let marinate for 10 minutes.

4. Serve the chicken on buns or rolls. (I used toasted hamburger buns, also Jason added Franks Hot Sauce to his.)

No comments: