Wednesday 27 April 2011

Choking Up At Glee

Glee handled Emma's OCD a bit more this week and I think they did a great job. In general I have a hard time with the way that they show her symptoms - it doesn't seem accurate or believable - but this stems from not having much experience with the washing/cleaning type. However, they are definitely on the right path in term of attitude towards mental illness.

The imputes for the episode is that Glee plans to do a group number where they will perform Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way.” They are to wear white T-shirts that will each have a word to describe the part of themselves that they are most ashamed of or want to change. However, as an example Emma has chosen “Ginger” to describe herself.

Will is upset that Emma doesn't choose OCD and realizes that she isn't doing much to work on her issues. He calls her on this and asks that she go to therapy. The therapist scene was very nicely done. (Though my affection for it might be the use of 'diabetes' which is a classic example I use all the time.) Though the whole scene is good, here is the best section:

Therapist: There's a stigma in this country about mental illness. I mean depression, anxiety, OCD, bipolar - they're hard to diagnose, so people don't always appreciate that they are serious problems, but they are.
Emma: Yeah, umm, I don't know. You know I'm not sure I want to lay on a couch and tell some stranger all of my secrets. And I don't want to start popping pills just so I can turn into someone that other people want me to be. This is how I am. This is who I am supposed to be.
Therapist: Your illness is not who you are supposed to be. It's keeping you from who you're supposed to be. Look, your a guidance councillor right? So if a student came to you and said they had diabetes would you give them insulin, or would you say, "Hey, that's just who you're supposed to be."
Emma. I...hum....I, I just feel, umm, I feel so ashamed...

At the end, during the big Gaga number, Emma and Will are at the side of the stage watching and she opens to jacket to reveal a T-ship that reads "OCD."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely cried a number of times during last nights episode. And I completely agree that the therapy scene was very, very well done. By far, the best episode of Glee yet. *ahem* Born this Way... Lady Gaga is fantastic. <3

Jer.

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaand of course the flash mob. I LOVE FLASH MOBS!

Jer.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding episode and I definitely choked up during the episode multiple times!! Loved it.

Jer, I'm participating in an anti-bullying flash mob with my school! haha at a mall in June.

Teri