Wednesday 22 December 2010

Men & Birds Of Prey

On my drive into town this morning I saw four Birds of Prey. I was driving slowly down the causeway which is one of the few places where I religiously drive at the actual speed limit, since this area is a protected Biosphere; I don't drive slowly for my own safety or for the safety of other drivers on the road, just for the environment. The causeway to get off of Long Point onto the main land is a couple of kilometers long and during this stretch I saw a Ruff Legged Hawk, that at the time I thought was a Golden Eagle which I gather we don't get this far east. There were also three Harriers, though I call them Kites. So I am embracing the fact that I'm a birder, though at the moment a pretty bad one.

I was in town for about an hour doing a few random chores like going to the pharmacy and grocery store. In the span of the hour, I saw four different guys wearing wearing an item of camouflage clothing. The one guy was just wearing a green camouflage baseball hat, but the other three where wearing full on camouflage pants. This is not the army style, though they do pair them with big boots, this is the intense and sometimes bright leaves and foliage hunting camouflage. One of the pairs of pants was polar fleece, I didn't even know they made camouflage fleece.

Even though it is a Biosphere, around here no animal is safe. The birds will get the small animals and the hunters go after the larger ones. However, I am obeying the speed limit so hopefully the car won't get any.

No comments: