Sunday 12 December 2010

Broad & Short 3/4 Portraits


I'm visiting in Ottawa and helping Steph finish up some portrait assignments for her current photography course. I brought along this fan that I bought in China this summer. It was so useful at the time since it was insanely hot and when waiting in train stations I noticed everyone had them. I kept it as a souvenir. The assignment is Broad & Short 3/4 Portraits. So, 3/4 Portraits are when 3/4 of the face is lit and the other 1/4 is shadowed, which is all of these. Broad lighting occurs when the lit side of the face is towards the camra, pictures 1 & 3 above. Pictures 2 & 4 use short lighting, when the shadowed side of the face is towards the camera. I prefer short lighting, it is way more flattering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are gorgeous shots of you Chris... You're so beautiful. Steph great job!

Love, T

Jannedals said...

#2 is breathtaking, have you lost more weight?!?