Monday 29 November 2010

Layers Of Greatness

I saw a trailer on TV for the following Direct-To-DVD animated movie:
Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale
Discover your inner sparkle! Join Barbie in a colourful, modern-day fairytale filled with fashion, friends, and fun. Barbie and her dog Sequin jet off to visit her aunt's amazing fashion house in Paris. Much to their surprise, it is about to be shut down forever! After she discovers three enchanting Fairies with sparkle-magic powers, Barbie comes up with a brilliant idea to save the business. She even inspires Alice, a shy fashion designer, and together they create a dazzling runway fashion show! Barbie shows that magic happens when you believe in yourself.

I would like to add a few more awesome notes to the above description, firstly the dog, of course, can talk, and wears a pink sparkly outfit. This film is the 12th in the Barbie Film Series. I saw bits of the 8th one, The 12 Dancing Princesses, a few Christmas' ago when my little cousins were watching it. I can tell you, whatever you are picturing, it is worse - so so so much worse. The horrendous computer animation was just the tip of the iceberg, I actually had to stop watching. Oh, and at the start of this one, you know, before she goes off to Paris, she is an actress filming on a movie set for "The Princess and the Pea." Look at Barbie go!! (Also, why the hell are faeries part of this? Oh Barbie.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the 12 Dancing Princesses an old fairytale? I recall an old Beta version of that my dad used to have - good old Fairy Tale Theatre! Ah CityTV

Teri

Anonymous said...

I have to say "I hate Barbies" (Ok, I dislike them intensly). I was horrified when Chris wanted them as a child and am still horrified that my nieces want them. They have transcended womens lib. One of my favorite quotes is from my brother Mark when asked by his niece to help her put a dress on one of her Barbies. He said "I don't do Barbies" (I hope that didn't have a sexual connotation). We do however have a memorable photo of him helping dress a Barbie ( some things just come with being an Uncle)
Mum

Anonymous said...

What are you saying, Barbie is a feminist visionary! You know that she's been an astronaut and a Dr. a politician AND Princess, all while looking after skipper, maintaining a healthy yet coy relationship with Ken preserving her unrealistic hip to waist ratio!

A.