Sunday 28 November 2010

Al-LIT-eration

I have finally finished my first big LitMod essay this year, and I came up with the greatest title, I was so proud:
The Fantasy of Fanny Hill:
The Improbable Portrayal of Prostitution
that Perpetuates Patriarchal Oppression
However, my awesome editors (Kristen and JennB) both vetoed it. Kristen found it too long; coming from Journalism she isn't used to writing in the 'literary present' or the long titles. JennB was fine with the length but said, "Seriously Chris, don't make a mockery of something we have all put a lot of work into. Don't get me wrong, I love good alliteration, who doesn't? But you can't make that the title." I whined about how it was good on so many levels, but in the end I agreed with them. So I ended up with this:
The Fantasy of Fanny Hill:
The Unrealistic Portrayal of Prostitution
that Reinforces a Male-Dominated Discourse
in Eighteenth-Century London

1 comment:

JennB said...

I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't love good alliteration. Great first title, but you made the right choice. When you are famous and super successful you can re-issue your essay with its orignal title. I will read it again! ;)