Tuesday 26 October 2010

The Fashion Pendulum

I remember in early high school everyone had flared pants. At times during high school these flares became huge bell bottoms. However, I also remember the dreaded term 'pencil pants'. These were the awful tapered leg jeans that were fairly loose fitting at the top and tighter around the ankles, seen on moms and computer geeks everywhere. Today, I bought a pair of skinny jeans. The 15 year old in my was shouting in protest. "They are all going to make fun of you! These aren't cool, where is the flare? Or at least a boot cut?" The 26 year old had to reply, "No, no, these are trendy now, and that isn't the issue. The issue is that they make my hips look too big, something you didn't really have to deal with 15 year old self!" They are very dark and I do like them. They are from Gap, which I gather means a certain level of quality, I don't ever shop at Gap so I don't really know. They also were on sale, which is always good. So, I'm wearing tight legged jeans, looks like style has swung back to the 'pencil pants.' Skinny and straight cut jeans have been around for a while now, I am always a good quarter swing behind on the fashion pendulum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the skinny jean... they are till being worn by this season's crop on ANTM so you are not THAT far out of the fashion whack... Wait: this season of ANTM was likely filmed 6 months ago...

Also big on ANTM this season is BIG HAIR. T's hair is about 2 feet wide. Flashback to the 80's?

DSC

Anonymous said...

Oh pencil pants....I definitely had some of those in Grade 7 or 8. Probably got made fun of...

Skinny jeans can actually be quite flattering on almost anybody if you get the right size/style.

Miss you!

Teri

JennB said...

You DID NOT get skinny jeans.