Monday 20 September 2010

Not Again

So, I'm up late writing up a presentation for school. (I will be speaking on Modernity and the Museum.) As I was reading the paper I am to discuss, I decided to play a little game with myself to find the most pretentious sentence so as to share it on Always Standing. There were so many to choose from. However, I think this will do the trick and give you an idea of the great stuff that critical theory is made of:

From The Birth of the Museum: History, Theory, Politics
by Tony Bennett
"Furthermore, while these comprised of an intersecting set of institutional and disciplinary relations which might be productively analysed as particular articulations of power and knowledge, the suggestion that they should be construed as institutions of confinement is curious."

Yes, curious indeed Mr. Bennett. The sentence before this one was three times as long and equally as ridiculously wordy, but I decided to spare you. Also, the author is trying to 'synthesize' a theorist named Gramsci with Foucault. And you know that I think? Fuck Foucault!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! I actually know who Gramsci is. Must be first year pop culture working its way back into my brain. Terrifying!

ERin

Jannedals said...

Dear god I didn't even understand that.
Is your whole degree going to be like this?!??