Tuesday 3 August 2010

Guest Writer - Truth Police - JennB

From JennB:

The Truth Police


Lately I have taken to calling Christine The Truth Police. She is appalled by what she believes is the sheer number of white lies I tell in a day and so listens like a hawk for any deviation I may make from the truth in order to correct it promptly. For example:

Jenn: “Hey guys, it’s quarter after five and I am thinking about starting dinner. Are you hungry?”
Chris: “Actually, Jenn, it’s 5:13.”

or

Jenn: “Do you think this blue shirt matches these pants?”
Chris: “Maybe, if it wasn’t teal.”

Ok, I may be exaggerating (only slightly) but this leads me to a topic Chris and I have discussed many times – black and white people vs. shades of grey people. I am a shades of grey person. I find it difficult to think in absolutes, and I believe that often, there is more than one right answer. While this helps me see all sides of a story, it can also make me somewhat wishy-washy. Chris, on the other hand, is a black and white person. There is one truth, and you are either right or wrong. This makes her far more decisive than me, but the nice thing about Chris’s black and white belief is that she pairs it with an accepting spirit and utter lack of judgemental-ness.

What kind of person are you? Black and white or shades of grey?

No comments: