Tuesday 23 March 2010

Tonal

I'm trying to learn Mandarin, well a little bit of it, enough to get by as a tourist. Everyone keeps saying that it will be so much harder than other languages because it is "tonal." In that different tones change the meaning. It is hard, I find all languages hard. But I'm really not buying this tonal thing. I think a lot of languages are like that, including English. For example, "So, what are you wearing?" can be said in a number of different tones to mean completely different things.
-
"Soo -- What - are you - wearing?"
Said a girlfriend when interested in outfit advice.
"Sooooo, What are you weeeearing?"
Said by a boyfriend trying to be sexy.
"So, -WHAT- arrre - you wearing?"
Said by a mean person trying to insult you.
-
See, it is all in the tone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see your point but I don't think it's quite the same thing. No matter the instance these English exmamples summon the question what does x person have on. In Chinese my understanding is that you can go from asking what the person is wearing to what they ate for lunch.
A.

Justin said...

Actually, I thought that it was cantonese that was tonal. I think you might be safe with Mandarin (ask Yan of course)