Wednesday 24 February 2010

Spain Reminders - Teri

So far, I keep coming across things that remind me of my friends at home. I decided to make it a regular feature while I am in Spain.

A few days ago I visited Morocco for the day, the city of Tanger specifically. During the walking tour we were all harassed by men wanting to sell things. Usually jewellery, wooden figurines, and other trinkets, that I was not interested in. They didn’t just ask once and then wander off to someone else, they usually stayed with you, bugging you about it for a while. I either perfected looking bitchy or poor because after a curt “No, thank you!” they would stop talking to me, but with other people they wouldn’t leave them alone. Along with the men were young boys, between the ages of probably 7 to 14, who were selling gum. They also harassed in the same fashion. I wasn’t bothered by the little boys, they were all clean, nicely dressed, spoke English, seemed to be having fun with each other, and were treated with respect by the men selling trinkets. However a few hours later as I was leaving on the ferry it dawned on me, it was a Thursday. With Teri in Teachers College at UofT, I am much more aware of education. Why weren’t these boys in school!?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay - I've been waiting for my reminder!! Haha as I was reading it I was wondering how it would tie back to me.

See you tomorrow!