Tuesday 26 January 2010

Haiti

The fact that Haiti had a devastating earthquake on January 12th should be news to no one. I usually don't keep up with current events as it is, but with something this awful I have been avoiding news of all mediums even more. However, I was given the task at work to write about it and am in the middle of writing my second article on the subject. This has meant that not only do I have to pay attention to information about this horrible disaster but I had to catch up on all the past news.

This is the part that really touched me. I'm very proud to be Canadian:

On January 14, the Government of Canada announced the Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund program of up to $50 million. The government will match eligible donations made by individual Canadians to registered charitable organizations between January 12 and February 12, 2010. With an overwhelming response Canadians started and continue to donate to help with relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction projects in Haiti, so much so that they quickly surpassed $50 million. 

The Honourable Beverley J. Oda, Minister of International Cooperation, announced on January 23, 2010 that the Government of Canada is expanding its matching fund for Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund to include all eligible donations above and beyond the original $50 million ceiling. "The extraordinary response of Canadians in the tragic aftermath of the Haiti earthquake has once again demonstrated their compassion and generosity," said Minister Oda. "The enormity of the devastation is unimaginable and donations have already exceeded $67 million. We will keep matching individual donations dollar for dollar."

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I'm also proud of my fellow Canadians for having responded so fully and quickly. Good luck with those articles.