Thursday 18 June 2009

Portfolio

I want to take this Fiction Workshop at Carleton next semester. They tell me that: "You must submit a portfolio with a brief biographical sketch, a statement on why you want to take the workshop, and include about 15 pages of prose - stories, coherent parts of novels, or literary non-fiction that might include memoir, travel writing, personal essays or magazine pieces. No poetry, journaling, or academic writing." I can maybe think of 3 or 4 things to include, and they wouldn't add up to 15 pages. I have over 800 posts on my blog, I am hoping to mine writing I have already done but I can't think of anything that would count. Also I have a hard time figuring out the difference between 'travel writing' and 'journaling' is, maybe this is because my writing when I travel is done in the style of a journal. I really can't use my actual travel journals because they are crazy point form notes, but I have some prose pieces about Paris on my blog. I think I need to try my hand at doing a short story over the next month to see how that goes, but I have no idea how to do that or even how to begin.

2 comments:

Fae said...

I took a creative writing class when I first started school and it is still one of my favorite I ever took.

Unknown said...

You should use that bird watching bus stop piece from a while ago...