Thursday 26 March 2009

A Different Grad

As those around me grow up, finish university, and move on with their big kid lives, I have been posting about their graduations. While my Little Brother Mike just had a graduation of sorts yesterday. (Original Photo by Steph Beach with Adjustments by Me.) But for Mike's grad, it is hard to post about because I don't really understand the details and I have no pictures and I have mixed feelings about the next chapter in his life. Basically he is now completed his full training for the Canadian Forces. He is going to be based in Edmonton and is driving out there in a few days. My parents went to see the ceremony at Gagetown, NB this week and are currently driving back to Ontario with him. I have talked to him a couple of times but still don't really understand what it means or what he is now. Private? Combat Engineer? Huh? The Army is still strange to me. Needless to say he has worked super hard for this and I am very proud of him. I love him so very much. 10-4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, he is now know as "Sapper Sweeton" - this means he is a combat engineer, sapper refers back to a french word "sapeur" or something, that meant tunneler I think - Mike knows the whole story. He is a Private and now joins his regiment in Edmonton. The graduation took the form of a parade in a drill hall in the training school in Gagetown (huge place) and the 36 of them all in their dress uniforms and rifles marched around, then the Major of the school spoke to each one of them personally and then addressed as a whole and then presented each one with their certificate. We then had refreshments and the town of Fredericton came and presented them with a plaque to thank them for building a boardwalk in a park for them. Much the same as any other graduation - University, college etc and now his grown up life is on the other side of the country.
Mum