Tuesday 20 January 2009

Feeling Inspired

I watched Barack Obama's inauguration speech today at work and was just blow away. He is an amazing speaker. I really hope that he can live up to everything that is expected of him and has been promised. I wonder if we will really see great change and I'm hoping that we do. The most powerful parts of the speech for me were:

"The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and non-believers. "

"To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West -- know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy."

I think the last one is the quote that should go down in history - judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy - is almost poetic. It is true and beautiful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder who wrote it!

Seriously, though.. I missed the speech itself (I'll watch a clip online tonight) but I caught the preamble. I was terrified something bad was going to happen. Thank God it didn't. It was amazing just to see how many people showed up, to hear how hopeful people were. Whatever Obama does or doesn't do.. he's still a symbol that the world knows how to hope.