Tuesday 11 November 2008

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day. Each year, Canada marks Veterans' Week from November 5 to 11. It is a time to honour and remember all those who served Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace.

Yesterday one of my English professors was wearing a white poppy and someone asked what it meant. He explained and later I looked it up for myself. I am surprised how political the holiday and the poppy can be. According to the Peace Pledge Union, the organization behind the White Poppy, the red poppy conveys a specific political standpoint. The Peace Pledge Union is the oldest secular pacifist organisation in Britain. Since 1934 it has been campaigning for a warless world. They choose the white poppy over the red because they wish to disassociate themselves from the militaristic aspects of Remembrance Day, rather than the commemoration itself.

I don't understand the complete opposition to war and the military. I liken this to the strange difference in connotation between a firefighter and a policeman. There is a universal love and appreciation for the work of a firefighter. They are brave heroes who save us from terrible, and natural, disaster. While that is not the same for a policeman. People are annoyed by them, they get angry about speeding tickets and focus on police corruption. This stems from the idea that police deal with criminals and that crime is unnatural. Fire can start from lightening, something that we can do nothing about. While crime is evil and presumed be avoidable. This is not the case, crime is natural. Criminals have always and will always exist, it is part of human nature. I don't understand the perceived difference between a brave police officer who save us from danger, than a firefighter who does the same. This extends to soldiers.

There is this distaste by some against the Canadian military. The anti-war movement and desire to abolished the military is ridiculous. War is also, unfortunately, a part of human nature. There has not been a time in our history where the world has been free of war. It is just not possible. While I promote peace and believe that war is a horrible thing, I also recognize that it is a fact of life and am thankful for the soldiers who are willing to fight when necessary. So I wear a red poppy to remember and reflect on those who served and died protecting Canadian values. I not only pay tribute to all Canadian Veterans, but I also honour those who continue to serve our country in Afghanistan and other areas of conflict.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'm sorry, but that just pisses me off. People like that just bother me. A white poppy? Give me a break..

Kristin

Unknown said...

All we are saying is give peace a chance. http://www.imaginepeace.com

I think people are too quick to assume that war is part of human nature. Many people think polygamy or eating meat are human nature too.

Erin said...

Okay, what about our peacekeepers then? Of course they do nothing for the advancement of peace in any way. The wells they build and the food they distribute are terrible acts and should, of course, not be recognized.
I would also say that eating meat IS a part of human nature, the same way that a tiger wants to eat a boar instead of a carrot.
These men and women step up so that you don't have to when our country is threatened or when we perceive dangers in another one.
All I'm saying is give peace a chance, support our troops.