Tuesday 7 October 2008

Spelling Counts

For the first time in my university career, spelling is important on a handwritten exam. I have a midterm in one of my English courses tomorrow and I'm really worried that I'm going to bomb it because of my terrible spelling issues. I was freaking out about this and what I could do about it to my parents on the phone yesterday. My mom suggested writing down all the words I spell wrong when typing on a piece of paper beside my computer. Every time spell check identified a word, I would look carefully at it, try to fix it, and write down the correct spelling on the paper. I have spent the day typing up notes in preparation for the test and have spelt a ridiculous number of words wrong. They are all longer words and when I misspell them I screw up the vowel sounds because I have no idea how the whole vowel thing works. This list has not comforted me at all, it just made me realise how terrible my spelling really is and I fill a little hopeless faced with it. Here is a list of the words (the * are when I misspelled it more than once): decided, conservative*, defeatist, Fascism, rhythms, hypocrite, ridiculous*, doesn't, coherent*, vacation, tragedy*, strangely, voyeuristic, necessary, conscious, simultaneous, separation, conciseness**, tongue, decipher, explicitly, stupor, ambivalent, mechanization, prophetic, disastrous, impasse, caricatures, fascinated, pursuit, frustration*, diseases, philosophic, and controversy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you can feel good about the fact you're the type of person that knows all those words. Plus, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Though you're stressed about it now maybe it could very likely help your spelling in the long run.
A.

Anonymous said...

The exercise is happening a little too late to be useful on this exam but I still contend that it will be helpful to you in the long run. Even if you only learned one of those words (and make a point of using it on the exam) you are ahead of yesterday's game. Good luck on the exam.
Love Mum

Unknown said...

Honestly there are a couple that I would have screwed up first time around. And like Anne said, you should be impressed that your vocabulary is so vast!

Christine Sweeton said...

Actually Steph, I think the above comment is from Anna. Anna tends to be just 'A.' and Anne has the dash '-A.' but I'm not totally sure. Trust me, I wish they would just sign their names (hint hint you two.)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Chris! you are bang on.
A.