Monday 8 September 2008

The Book List

I am stressing out now after having a day of English courses. Not only will it cost me a small fortune to buy all the books I have to get for these classes but it will take forever to read them all. Each text is a novel and they range from 200 to 1200 pages. Check it out.

ENGL3603 - 20th Century Fiction (half year)
-Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
-Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
-Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
-Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
-Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
-The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

ENGL3502 - British Lit II (full year)
-Longman Anthology of British Literature edited by David Damrosch
---we will study about 65 poems, short stories, and essays from it
-Expedition of Humphrey Clinker by Tobias Smollett
-Frankenstein by Mark Shelley
-Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
-The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

ENGL2802 - Canadian Lit (full year)
-Course Pack
---we will study the 12 poems, short stories, and essays included in it
-Canadian Literature Anthology edited by Cynthia Sugars and Laura Moss
---we will study 10 poems, short stories, essays, and journals from it
-Execution Poems by George Elliott Clarke
-The Imperialist by S. J. Duncan
-A Coyote Columbus Story by Thomas King
---admittedly a children's book and not of novel length
-Civil Elegies by Dennis Lee
-Disappearing Moon Cafe by Lee Sky
-Brebeuf's Ghost by D. D. Moses
-In The Skin Of A Lion by Micheal Ondaatje
-The Komagata Maru Incident by S. Pollock
-The Tin Flute by G. Roy
-The Double Hook by Sheila Watson

ENGL290A - Culture and Society (half year)
-Handouts
---we will study 3 short stories, given out in class
-National Art Gallery
---at least 1 visit on our own time
-Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
---see above, I get to read this for two classes
-Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by F. Douglass
-The Scarlet Letter by N. Hawthorne
-The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
-Dora by Sigmund Freud

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I took Culture and Society and hated it. But we did different books. Who's your prof?

Anonymous said...

Hey! Okay, so I have ONE of fifty books you needs for your classes. I have the picture of Dorian Gray and semi enjoyed it. I don't know what is scarier... you BUYING all those books, or actually finding the time to READ them all.

Good luck,
Love, T

Unknown said...

Also, I have Slaughter House Five (which is one of my favourite books), and I think I have the Can Lit anthology you need. I'll check when I go home tomorrow. Do you want to borrow?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Dracula is not on your list!! I love that one!! But your Brit Lit Class sounds mighty interesting. Good luck with all that reading!!
Today I had geology, math, and fluvial geomorph...wanna trade?? haha

tomorrow's nothin' but Cultural geog...with Fab...and boy do I have some stories about that one...

-A.

Anonymous said...

You could just watch wishbone...I know there was a frankenstein episode :)

ERin

Anonymous said...

I have some of them too if you want to borrow. Lolita for sure and one or two others though I'd have to double check if they're in Ottawa cause they might just be in Hfx.
A.

Anonymous said...

We will check out the used book stores in Btfd and get back to you.
Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

I have a few of those. You're more than welcome to borrow them!


Kristin

Unknown said...

Um yeah - I have some math books and books about the environment. I know that doesn't help you.

I have read some of those books though and they weren't that bad - I think you can get through them all as some of them are good books relaly.