Saturday 19 July 2008

Drinking Pros and Cons

Well I guess it is more about not drinking as I'm still doing the dry thing. Last night a bunch of us went to Peir 21 in the market. It was great because The Peir is always a good time and I have no trouble dancing, or my terrible excuse for dancing, sober and totally enjoy it. What was hard was the total awareness of everything else around me. Because I was so alert and my brain was firing on all 12-cylinders (Yes, my brain is a Ferrari), I noticed things I am not normally aware of when I'm out at a bar. When sober you maintain your ability to do multiple things at the same time and are able to concentrate on a wide variety of thoughts. I was observant of what people were wearing and how everyone was hitting on each other. I very intrigued and slightly depressed by the observed social interactions. Also you can see the buzzed joy in all the drunk faces. Drinking can be so much fun, and I missed that. Also there were times when the friends I went with who were drinking were at the point where they only really made sense to each other. Mind you I am also enjoying the benefits of waking up this morning at a reasonable time and feeling great. I could also see those that were not having a good time, feeling sick or dizzy. I'm also not missing the money and calories I would have spent on a night of drinking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't go to a bar sober. I get too annoyed by all the drunk people. Good for you for being able to go and stay sober!

Kristin

Anonymous said...

Sometimes going to a bar sober is fun! It's great for people watching! But, it's always better when you have another sober friend with you so you can laugh and joke about how ridiculous some people act.

Jess

Anonymous said...

One or two drinks can be fun, but I rarely do even that.
I'm going to make an ass of myself in either case, might as well be able to appreciate my own falls I say!!

Good for you Chris!

I don't know what Erin H and I will be doing Friday, but I proposed the dancing to her so I guess we'll all just talk about it at work tomorrow...see you then!

-A.