Tuesday 10 June 2008

Four Girls, Four Bags

I finally got around to seeing the Sex And The City Movie, which was so very very good. I went with some girls from work. Two of us spent the dinner before explaining the back stories for the characters to the other two, who hadn't really watched the show. We tried to peg down which City girl we each represented but nothing seem to fit. Looking at each specific life, style, attitude, and career it was hard to say 'I am her' or 'I want to be her.' They are blatant stereotypes of four very different women but it is hard to peg yourself and your friends that way. Right when I thought I had nailed it, further thought showed that the previous actions or morals of that character didn't quite click. At the end of the movie is a small speech about leaving some labels behind; I decided to stop trying to pigeon-hole myself and my friends. We are each so unique and so very different from each other. Beyond differences in our education, interests, style, attitudes, principles, personalities, as the list goes on, the four of us walked out of the theatre each holding a different bag. A metaphor for beautiful differences. One sporting a chic new designer label purse headed towards her car. Another, with a trendy canvas bag slung over her shoulder waited for her boyfriend to pick her up. Erin, while wearing a skirt and a killer black sleeveless blouse, headed with me to the bus stop carrying a backpack with tomorrows clothes and running stuff. I, of course, had my basic brown purse with the green and white pocka-dot lining from Harrods, reminding me of travels abroad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eloquent post! Nice imagery and all that good stuff. I mean it!

-A.