Thursday 29 May 2008

Life Is Expensive

I have lived alone long enough to have learned a certain amount about money. I recognize that despite the fact that they are expensive and not fun, things like rent, bills, and tuition need to take top financial priority. When not directly paying for them, I need to be saving for them. I also need food and to a certain extent clothes and transportation. After all of that is covered (and it seems like money needed for rent and tuition never ends.) I can spend my money on a few frivolous treats; nights out, pedicures, gifts for friends, fun things. What I keep forgetting about are the emergency expenses that pop up out of no where. On my birthday weekend I ran out of contact lenses. I wasn't overly concerned since I tend to only wear them for sports/working out and when I want to look super pretty. Over the past few weeks, I have also noticed that there was a small crack in my glasses frames and that they were more flimsy than usual. Again, I didn't get overly concerned since I just planned to be careful with them. Well they completely broke last night, and without them or any contacts, I can't see. I repaired them with nail glue and took the day off work to figure something out. I grabbed a last minute eye appointment and got glasses made in a few hours. I can't afford any of this. It all adds up and it all costs so much; the eye appointment, the contact fittings, the new contacts, the new glasses. Also I had to take time off work which I also can't afford, in terms of money or the stress of unfinished tasks building up. Basically what I have failed to learn is that sometimes life is really costly and it sucks.

No comments: