Tuesday 6 May 2008

Dreaded Tulips

I can look at the photograph above and see the beauty. I also look at it and wish it was of any other flower besides tulips. I have been mocked for my fear of this spring time bulb ever since I mentioned that I don't like them and that they make me uncomfortable. I admit it is irrational, but most fears are. I think people who are scared to fly are crazy, I love aeroplanes. I'm not petrified by tulips, and on occasion I do enjoy looking at them. (Though those times are few and far between.) We had them in the garden when I was little and growing up, I wasn't a fan then either. They are thick and waxy flowers, then as they open and die their dark and creepy looking stamen appears. It is Tulip Festival time in Ottawa so they are everywhere, especially in the park I go through on my way home. As are a whole bunch of tourists and about a billion photographers, because what else to do you do at a festival based around a flower. I want to involve myself in all the events since I think it is important to attend these cultural things, but it doesn't seem as interesting or as well organized as others.
(Picture: Carleton Tulips by Stephanie Beach)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really nice pic of Stephs, the tulips almost look like they have little lights in each one.
Mum