Thursday 10 April 2008

The Douchebag Phenomenon

I'm definitely behind the ball posting about this. I don't know where or when it all started but I have heard that a while back there was this picture of a bunch of guys all wearing the same style of shirt and all with the same haircut. (In high school I would refer to it as 'Two Air Streams Collide' as the hair is worn short but pushed up from the forehead and forward from the back.) There is now a website called 'Hot Chicks with Douchebags' which posts pictures and colourful commentary. This website explains: A douchebag is not defined as simply a series of hand gestures, facial expressions, overly gelled hair or a giant Jesus bling around the neck. A douchebag is a state of mind. It is a place where men go to become scrote. Where machismo mixes with testosterone to form a foul cocktail of rank sewage that smells vaguely of cheap cologne. A comedy sketch group created a skit called 'My New Stripped Shirt' poking fun at this type of guy. Soon people took notice and the more popular 'My New Haircut' skit was created, I don't know who made it though. The short video about an annoying macho guy, is the most famous and inspired many spin-off skits, including my favorite 'My New Scene Haircut.' The joys of pop culture, as promoted by YouTube.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just went to the douchebag link and it is very funny bu I have to ask why are you spending your time surfing the net for these obscure sites WHEN YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING!
Mum