Tuesday 2 October 2007

Slightly More Than A Monkey

An ongoing joke I have is that I photocopy for a living. Co-workers often say "Oh, but your job is so much more than that," but they would be surprised how much of my job really is just photocopying. Probably 60% of the tasks I do involve the machine at one step or another. Mind you, rarely do I just get a stack of documents that I have just have to photocopy, my work is a tad more complex then that. Often I have to fill out a form, then photocopy it, or photocopy something and then take it somewhere, or photocopy things and then organize them into binders with indexes and dividers. Sometimes I have to write things or update things, and after that, I photocopy them. I use the machine all the time. The other 40% of my work isn't any more difficult or complicated, it tends to be walking things places or filling out and distributing things online or through e-mail. The tasks maybe simple but I hold to that I work ridiculously hard, I never stop moving or thinking. It is balancing, juggling, and handling all the different tasks and people that is the true challenge at my job. I use my multitasking, prioritising, and problem solving skills everyday. I won't even begin to talk about the level of social skills required to succeed in a public sector administration position. I deal with a huge variety of people, 'cause the government takes all kinds.

1 comment:

Curly Jenn said...

Your last sentence could not be more true.