Sunday 21 October 2007

Relationship Status

One of the features on everyone's Facebook Profile is listing your 'Relationship Status', this should never be done. It is a huge ordeal to change your relationship status and whenever you do, a notification goes out on all your friends Facebook News Feed. If you change a 'In a Relationship' to 'Single' or even choose no longer to show any status, a little broken heart image occurs. When W. and I broke up, changing this on my profile was the first thing I did. I thought it would be an easy little step before taking down pictures and telling friends, it was not. The morning after a break-up having an entire online network of people know what happened is not a very subtle way to start moving apart. I discussed this with Ter on the phone today and she claims listing a relationship status is 'a rookie Facebook mistake'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the type of relationship you're in. If you've just started dating someone, I wouldn't suggest listing yourself as "In A Relationship". On the other hand, if you're like Mike and I, I would be super mad if he didn't state that he was in a relationship with me.
P.S If you go into account settings I think you can edit your News Feed so that it doesn't show changes in your relationship status. :)

Kristin