Sunday 14 October 2007

Paintball

I just came back from paintball with a group of people from work. It was crazy. Nothing like what I thought. I can see it being a totally addictive hobby, but completely impractical for me as it is expensive and you would need a car to go out to the places. We played a bunch of different games in different areas, for the most part it is two teams and capture the flag style. They have areas with creeks, bridges, bunkers, and even an area with a huge fort which you either have to attack or defend. For the most part the 7 of us from work were on the same team playing against groups of other people. We played a few quick small games against our selves that were hilarious, probably my favorite. Although as a team we won a few times, I never made it to the end 'alive.' Most times though I had 'hit' a few other people before I got out, which makes me feel like I did my part. Mind you, only a few people that I got I'm positive it was me that shot them. If a guy I was aiming at raised his hand said "I'm Hit!" and walked off the playing area, I assumed I probably got him. But, multiple people are aiming and shooting in the same area, so it may not have been me every time. Getting hit by the paintballs can really hurt though. About 25% of the shots you get are painful, the rest you barely feel. It really depends where you take the shot, the very first one I got was on my hand and it killed, it is all swollen and is still sore now. Somehow I didn't let that first one deter me from having a good time, and I wasn't scared or hesitant while playing. This is possibly due to the fact that when I took the shot to the hand that very first game, I also took about 3 more in the stomach and didn't really feel them. Throughout the day I got 2 more hand shots, so a couple of fingers and a knuckle are pretty red and swollen. I got nailed at the side of the head too (just behind my safety goggles), that hurt at the time but didn't leave a mark. I should probably check the rest of my body for welts and bruises from all the other shots.

No comments: